Ross Island, located in the South Andaman district, is an important part of Andaman, and tourists have visited the island often because of its flabbergastic beauty. Earlier, the headquarters of Andaman and after 1941, Port Blair became the administrative headquarters. What you can see on this island is the remains of an old church that existed, a swimming pool, the commissioner’s main building with gardens and ballrooms.
There is a cemetery and a museum maintained by the Indian Navy. These historically important sights in Ross Island give a serious attraction to the country instead of a laid back and relaxed island. But anyone who visits Andaman would not miss missing Ross Island, which is closely connected with the capital, Port Blair.
Highlights: The reduced beauty of Ross Island is preserved as a historic piece of glory the island once owned, but for many reasons, people love this island. All the buildings and ruins that can be found here on the island are covered by the thick roots of the banyan trees, and it is in itself a lively aspect that the buildings on the island should show. At the northern end of the island there is a new concrete light house that is 10 meters high, and it is in round shape, built in 1977.
The lighthouse is located on a spurning beam, 50 meters away from the coast. The thick, regularly-waving forest areas and the impression it gives as a distant and desolate space without people, others emphasize that the island exhibits. A large collection of rare fauna and flora has its own authentic space on the island.
Activities: Sailing, beach walking, swimming, snorkeling etc. Are some of the easily accessible and refreshing water-based activities performed on Ross Island.
Distance from Port Blair: The island is 3 km east of Port Blair.
This island was the former capital of most Andaman islands from 1858 to an earthquake in 1941. Ross Island was also the foundation of the British administrator of the Penalty Colony in Port Blair. In 1941, the Japanese placed the place in a prisoner of war and built war installations, of which remains can be seen. It is now desolate, and they have few signs of its colonial glory, such as The Commissioners and Presbyterians’ homes are overdue and overgrown. The area is now under control of the Indian Navy.
Presbyterian Church on Ross Island was a Protestant church built of stone and the windows had frames made of Burma teak. The glass plates behind the altar were made of beautifully etched glass window from Italy. The quality of the tree was so good that it survived the vagarien of the weather for more than 100 years. A small building south of the church was built to house the presbytery.
Ross Island, now a popular tourist destination, was also a British favorite. The island, named after ocean meter Sir Daniel Ross, was first discovered by him to guard the Port of Port Blair. The region served as the administrative headquarters of Andaman and Nicobar Islands until an earthquake shook it in 1941, after which the headquarters were moved to Port Blair. The now deserted island had all modern conveniences like bazaar, bakery, shops, water purification plant, church, tennis court, print shop, secretariat, hospital and cemetery, whose ruins can still be found anywhere on the island. During the uprising in 1857, the British had to fly to Ross Island and settled there for about ninety years. The Japanese took the Andaman and Nicobar Islands in 1942 during World War II decision for the next three years. Big freedom fighter Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose hoisted our national flag on top of the island’s government during his one-day stay on the island. The island is now largely occupied by military staff and museum staff.